View Single Post
Old 2009-07-10, 04:17 PM

Re: Got a new router...having trouble getting connectable AGAIN

While I appreciate the responses, having 3 different people tell me I shouldn't have 2 routers is overkill. I've explained why I have a DSL modem and a wireless router hooked up. My DSL modem doesn't have wireless capability - hence the need for a wireless network (see: WIRELESS ROUTER). The router is brand new (and was free) so I'm not about to run out and buy a new DSL modem/router combo. DSL isn't very common in my area to begin with. Even my local best buy doesn't carry DSL modems. I live in the middle of Comcast Country, but I refuse to do business with Comcast - so I use Verizon DSL.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - even if my DSL modem + wireless router setup isn't ideal - this exact same configuration worked for over a year with NO issues at all. It's only been since my last router died and I replaced it with the exact same model that these issues began happening. Previously I had forwarded a port from the modem to the wireless router, then from the router to the laptop -- and it worked fine. Yet when I have tried to do that since getting the replacement router, I am unable to get the same configuration/settings to work this time. If my setup is "bad", I have yet to hear anyone explain how it is I was fully connectable for over a year with the same hardware/setup/config.

So even though many of you may think my setup is not optimal (and you may be right) there is still no reason why this setup shouldn't work since I had it working in the past with the exact same hardware. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes