Thread: Modern Day FMs
View Single Post
Old 2007-09-05, 03:21 PM

Re: Modern Day FMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGFY26
Thanks for the info Five,

Did a quick google of some products and it does I see things like FM transmitter ranges of 20hz to 15 khz for the Orbands. I have to say that's surprising and a little disappointing. I always thought FM was a higher quality. I would guess and hope however that most stations run compression and not clippers. This would make it so the ratio from quiet to loud would stay intact but reduced and not just throwing info away. I'm not sure that would make a difference but it would make me feel better . I checked a few "FM" sources that I have for shows. For some reason EAC would only give me SAs of two and they fell of about 15khz but didn't seem as sharp as I have seen in some mp3s. The one that I could do a FA and SA, the SA still showed a dropoff around 15khz but the FA didn't show any sharp drop off. That seems a little weird.

Thanks guys. I hope we get a bunch of comments. I'm really trying to figure this all out as well, but I do feel it's a bit of a "guesstimate" sometimes. Again, that's where lineage can help so much to point us in the right direction.

Great Topic!!!!
Thanks for your explanations. A little background information is good always.

EAC isn't good. For SA you should get yourself CEP. Trial version is enough. FA and SA still work after it's expired. Check here:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=4288. I like audacity for FA, at the moment. That's pretty fine for my inexperienced eyes.

You can't decide what it is if you only know the point of the cutoff. There are also mp3s which only cutoff above 20Khz, MDs which cutoff below 16 Khz etc. And it may also have been compressed, pitch changed etc.

I think that a pro will be able to decide correctly in most cases. Basically the problem is that you only may proof lossyness but never losslessness. So that's like in science. You can only proof what's wrong. And the art is to find the right test in difficult cases which proofs lossyness.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes