View Single Post
Old 2008-01-14, 07:55 AM

Re: EAC equivalent for Macs?

Nice to see my little tutorial making an appearance but I would add one caveat with regard to speed adjustment with Audacity

----------------------------------------------
I am *not* qualified to give an informed decision on how this would affect real world application
-----------------------------------------------

In Audacity, go to Generate->Tone and, well, generate a tone. I think the default frequency is 440Hz sine wave. Select a portion of that wave and go Analyze->Plot Spectrum:

Now go Select All->Effect->Change Speed and bump it up, say 1%. Analyze->Plot Spectrum on the altered wave and you get:

The extra spikes are pretty obvious. I remember once trying this same test but performing the speed adjustment with Amadeus and Sound Studio (Mac apps BTW) and, IIRC, the spikes were even worse with Amadeus but Sound Studio produced an image exactly analogous with the original. Since then I've always used Audacity to work out how much adjustment was necessary as I prefer it as a program to work with but always performed the final adjustment itself with Sound Studio. As I stressed above, I have no idea if this effect is replicated but not as readily visible with real music but I thought I ought to at least mention my findings.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner

Last edited by ffooky; 2008-01-14 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes