View Single Post
Old 2010-10-20, 03:59 PM

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgiggles1 View Post
Most likely a false positive. That's why it is recommended when checking for lossy you use Cool Edit Pro to check the spectral and frequency analysis preferably zoomed in on a 2 second area of the file. Also a file that has been recorded on a DAT recorder with a 16K drop off may be confused for a lossy file when indeed it is not.
Interesting... is there any information to tell what TLH actually tests?? If there is a likelihood of false-positives, then this would not necessarily be a "go-to" tool for testing if FLACs are sourced from MPEG then would it?? as you say, the only way to truly tell is to see where the freq. roll-off exists....
So in your opinion is spectral analysis the ONLY definitive way to test?

Do you think the false positive comes from the codecs involved in going wav>flac>wav and are leaving some sort of artifact that TLH is sensing??

There is a site right now that is promoting the TLH test on files that have gone wav>flac>wav to test if they are not from MPEG.... I posted a recording that went from wav to flac, using the TLH codecs, and that very recording tested positive for MPEG in the TLH test!!

I might be the only one, but I stand by my statement that flac is NOT lossless and converting it back to a wav for anything other than a qualitative exam is worthless....

This is very bizarre and I am trying to decide if I should challenge this method since it seems very flawed to be the definitive test for their overall QC....

Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes