View Single Post
Old 2005-01-19, 09:51 AM
TTD Staff

Re: OK,..Who played the unfunny ha ha with my Den?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
I saw this same type of comment somewhere else on here...is there some sort of old STG inside joke with it?

And, what the hell is DNS propagation anyway?
Back in August, when STG was supposed to be down for just a couple days for a vBulletin upgrade, it just kept staying down longer and longer. When you take a vBulletin board down to the public, you have an option of putting a message up to people to update them on the status. At one point, Gray wrote that the DNS just needed to propagate and then everything would be back to normal. However, that message sat there for over a week, I believe (at least).

DNS propagation is what happens when your IP address changes. This new IP needs to then get brought to the attention of the Big Machines, the ones that have the tables that direct the traffic for everyone around the world. There are several of these Big Machines and the IP address change may get to one and then the other at a different time. And, different people may use different Big Machines to be directed to sites. So, that is why some people may be able to get to a site that has a new IP address before other people may be able to. Usually, this Propagation takes less than 72 hours. (Actually, from what I've seen, it usually takes less than 24 hours).

Now, getting back to STG, most people knew that DNS Propagation should take no more than 72 hours and yet that message continued to sit there with no update whatsoever. (And, if I recall further (I was off on vacation at the time and was only communicating with Gray via AIM), there never was a change in IP addresses so there never was any DNS propagation going on in the first place!)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes