View Single Post
Old 2005-07-23, 12:38 PM

Re: Radio Two = mp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
thanks very much for all the detailed info... the SA resembles other FM mp2 sources as they appear with the analogue purple haze (heh) from the "over the air" transmission. So mp2 seemed like the most logical guess. I'm looking for a couple more opinions to confirm without a doubt that this is a lossy source.
By "FM mp2 source", do you mean an analogue FM broadcast that has been MP2-compressed somewhere before the final transmitter?

Quote:
So the main thrust of this thread is to ask the question is everything coming from the BBC lossy except WWO preFM discs and the like? From what I see here it looks like not only the satellite broadcasts but also the traditional "over the air" broadcasts are lossifiedized at the station and that's a real drag 'cause everyone loves the beeb's content.
It wouldn't surprise me if the BBC, have starting introducing MP2 lineage into FM transmissions. But without actually asking the BBC, I don't think we would know for sure. It would probably also depend on which transmitter you were talking about - I doubt they are all the same.

But don't confuse MP2 with NICAM. They are both lossy, but in completely different ways, and I wouldn't expect the same "signatures" in SAs.

Also, don't think this is limited to the BBC. I would be surprised to find a "pure analogue" FM tranmission in Europe today, especially national radio broadcasters.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes