View Single Post
Old 2005-03-09, 11:27 AM
Renegade Geek

Re: Best way to store all these downloads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
You still haven't tried out Ogg Vorbis? I seem to recall you once said your Karma can play Ogg Vorbis. You would be able to fit about 5 times as much music on your Karma and I seriously doubt you would notice a difference in sound quality on a portable.
Oh, I absolutely use OGG-Vorbis for shows I'll be listening to over and over. I have a large hard drive with my favorites encoded at quality level 6 (I found I couldn't personally tell the difference at around 5, so 6 was a safe bet). I also have most of my official discs ripped to the hard drive as well so that I can take them on the road with me.

I use FLAC for checking the initial download. It's easier for me to just put a freshly downloaded show right on the Karma than it is to make a conversion, download the OGG files to the device, and then possibly delete them later. It should be said that I only carry around about 10-20 albums on my device at a time. Unless I'm taking a long trip, I only put on what I feel like listening to for that day. I use it for FLAC because it's more convenient for how I use it, not because of any percieved quality difference between the two.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes