View Single Post
Old 2018-02-20, 11:54 PM

EXPLOIT IN UTORRENT?

I got this warning on another torrent site about uTorrent:

Attention uTorrent users: There is an exploit (in all previous versions including uT 2.2.1) with the WebUI. Please disable WebUI on uT until further notice. Details to follow.

Does anyone on here know anything about this? I use 2.2.1 . I'm LOW-tech and have no idea what an exploit is.

Some posted that anyone using this client should get rid of it, because your computer could be attacked.

Like this post:

This is actually a massive security risk; anyone sticking with uTorrent is an idiot. This isn't even the first attack 2.2.1 is vulnerable to, either.
And BitTorrent botched their patch to fix the issue, so even the latest uT beta is still vulnerable. Yikes.

Make the most of these tools -- it's time to ditch uTorrent
As always, create a backup of your session folder before making any changes
Seamless transition from uTorrent to qBittorrent
Seamless transition from uTorrent to Deluge

I'd recommend switching to qBittorrent or Deluge. They are all cross-platform, although unfortunately I don't think either of the transition tools work on macos. Transmission is a good macos client (I wouldn't recommend it be used on Windows) but as far as I know there are no tools available to convert your uTorrent session into something Transmission can use.

I think qBittorrent would be the best choice for most people seeking a uTorrent alternative
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes