View Single Post
Old 2010-03-20, 02:56 PM

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDVidGuy View Post
a 3 cam Ozzy from 96
Freaker's Ball, maybe?

Quote:
As for your comment about someone being "the ONLY person able to provide something new to the community", that is highly doubtful. There is new material coming out all the time from all sorts of sources.
Yes, but it has to start somewhere. Somebody -- one person -- takes initiative to make and share the videos with fellow fans. Some things are extremely rare, and the odds of multiple people taking that initiative is also (sadly) quite rare.

I would also dispute the "all the time" part -- I wish it did happen that way!

And I also think "just a hobby" is often used as a cop-out, an excuse for bad work. If this is a hobby, spend a few bucks on it. A couple hundred bucks on a hobby is very typical. If you're too cheap or too lazy, then you get the flack you deserve. It's really that easy.

In the end, the arguments are always between two type of fans:
  • The ones that really want the best material and will put forth effort to make that happen...
  • ... and the ones that simply don't care to put forth any effort. (By no coincidence, it's this group that generally does it only to sell copies, to amass a bragging-rights "large collection" that he/she never watches, and tends to over-describe his/her crap as being much better quality than it really is. Sometimes even calling these folks "fans" is a bit of a stretch.)
The disagreement happens when the two interact, with the "yes effort" fan giving away some nice (either in trade or as $$) to the "no effort" fan, and feeling screwed with the garbage they get in return. It's even more aggravating when the "yes effort" fan knows the "no effort" crap could have looked/sounded much better. The only way to fight this is through education. And yes, as arguing, as needed, to bring the issue to light in the community.

I've seen this for 15+ years now. It's nothing new.