View Single Post
Old 2010-02-24, 09:45 PM

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
"unfortunate i couldn't find it" and "should be pretty well documented"???? thats your response, really?!.
I guess you didnt try and download the manual then.

Quote:
" even if it does have TBC/DNR, it still doesn't address the fact a dedicated TBC/DNR/ProcAmp that are *manually controllable* will provide far better results
Im well aware of pro amps and other devices.

Heres the facts, AAR. Im getting the results im looking for WITHOUT having to use a professional proc amp. Now you might disagree with the way im going about doing it. What matters is im getting the results im looking for.

Quote:
i guess a $2K SVHS desktop editor labeled "Pro Line" & used primarily in broadcast & production houses isn't a "pro deck" in yer estimation
No, its well documented that it isnt a professional deck. I own one of these. Its a prosumer deck. I admit that the 9800 is not a professional deck, but it is a consumer deck.

Quote:
and when it comes to a particular VHS tape sometimes my Panasonic will better, sometimes another make/model like yer JVC will do better
In terms of image quality, I prefer the JVC.
In terms of tbc stability, the panasonic is one of the best. I wish I could own a deck that had the image quality/dnr filters of the JVC with the tbc of the panasonic.

Quote:
it was made by Canopus, which was then bought by Green Valley...back when you first came to this site you tried to tell me in a thread about transferring that the ADVC300 didn't have TBC...i even posted a link to the manufacturer's site then, but here it is again:
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc300
Check this out:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...hods?p=1961020

What do you think of Lordsmurf's opinion on the ADVC300?

Quote:
would i be pleased with yer DVD recorders built DNR & TBC? some of the times yeah, and others no...yer missin the fucking point!!! its about being able to control your DNR filter's various parameters versus as opposed to an automatic filter that does what it thinks is best...i'm sorry, but the hands-on approach wins every time
I understand the gripe. You cant control the DNR. You cant turn it on/off.
Does that mean this piece of equipment is a piece of garbage? No.
Would you benefit from using this unit?
Yes you would. Why? Because I see with multi generated tapes like the Blind Melon that you authored, the tape would benefit from being cleaned up with the DNR filters of that machine. I pretty much think any VHS no matter if its 1st gen or multi generated would benefit from the filters and encoding quality of this machine.