View Single Post
Old 2010-02-24, 11:13 AM

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
1. no where on Sony's site does it say that this camera employs a TBC or any sort of DNR filters
Quote:
and we've already established that Sony DCR-TRV740 camcorder's TBC/DNR functions are seemingly non-existant as well..
Well, its unfortunate you didnt find that out in your research.
It should be pretty well documented.
But it does in fact employ tbc/dnr. Its in the menu.

Quote:
so it seems there's no TBC used in the JVC DRM100 SA recorder, but it does use some sort of DNR
I agree with Lordsmurf but not with your cynical assessment "some sort of dnr".

Quote:
so we're left with absolutely no TBC in your transferring chain
The svhs has a tbc. I see the one show you have uploaded that it appears you transferred from a vhs tape was done on an ag1980. Not a professional deck, I may add. But it does have a good line tbc. Although image wise, I prefer the 9800 over the AG1980. I even posted that on videohelp.

Quote:
meanwhile, you could've bought a *brand new* entry-level A>D converter, such as the ADVC300, for less $ than two used pieces of equipment you've listed above [according to the average used prices you've quoted]...the ADVC300 definitively utilizes both TBC and DNR, will generate SMPTE color bars [necessary for color correction], and most importantly all parameters are manually adjustable by the user = a better quality capture
Until you mentioned this to me in PM I didnt know what this was, I thought it was a Canopus and that same model Canopus doesnt contain a tbc/dnr, from what ive heard/read.

As far as "better quality capture", that is subjective.

In my opinion, you as a pro would be pleased with the quality of my captures.