View Single Post
Old 2006-01-19, 02:12 PM

Re: port forwarding help (WinXP/Versalink327W) PLEASE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
so I should go to my network connection properties and switch "use the following IP address:" and go back to "obtain automatically"?
No you shouldn't.

Think of it this way... Your computer is connecting to your router, and your router is connecting to your modem. The ip address that is assigned by your isp to your modem (the one that connects you to the internet and changes frequently) is connecting you to the internet. The *local* ip address (the one that you assign to your network configurations and needs to be static) is connecting your computer to your router. If you have this address set to "obtain automatically", then the next time it obtains an ip address to connect to your router, it most likely won't be the address that you have the ports forwarded on.

With my router, the default setting for how many dynamic ip address it can choose from is 50, and the starting address ends in 100 (the first digits cannot be changed). So that means the addresses ending with 100-150 can't be used as a static ip address, because they are reserved for dynamic switching. So I chose an address that ended with 151 to be my static ip address.

Hopefully that helps, but I can't explain it very well.

EDIT:
Quote:
I tried to connect to the TV show torrent I wanted and it just will not start up. I don't know what the difference is between torrents on places like here and etree and the other types of places
Many sites do not allow traffic on ports 6881-6889, or any other blacklisted ports.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes