View Single Post
Old 2005-08-05, 06:16 PM

Re: Newbie DVD burning software question

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Sorry. The md5 allows you to check the file hash and make sure you got it intact. If the md5 doesn't pass it means your files aren't in their original state. So a lot of DVDs come with md5s. So then if you download it and check the md5 and it's fine, then burn it with Nero, it alters a couple of the files in the VIDEO_TS folder for some reason, so then when you try to verify the files using the md5 it will fail even though the files will play fine. So it doesn't alter them in a way so as to ruin them, but it makes your md5 incorrect and it will fail verification. So in short, don't use Nero if you are going to trade and use the md5 files.

And yeah, use RecordNow... Here's how you do it (from a post I just made a few mnutes ago for someone else but newly improved!)

select "Data Disc"
name it whatever you want in the "Volume Label" thing at the top
drag in your VIDEO_TS folder into the main window, no need to worry about the order of files
drag in any txt, md5 or artwork files keeping them outside the VIDEO__TS folder
click on the red button on the lower right and wait til it's done

Most players will play DVDs with files outside the VIDEO_TS folder but I would test yours out with one.
Alright, tried it with RecordNow as you suggested and everything seemed to work fine. I burned two DVDs, one with the extra files outside the VIDEO_TS folder and one without. Both play fine on my PC and look great. Neither will play on my standalone, though. It's a Panasonic RV30, admittedly a couple of years old. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Maybe I'll go ahead and download the trial version of Nero and give it a shot. I'm not so concerned about the md5 problem. Does anyone know if I can get away with just downloading the DVD Rom burning module? I really don't need all the other stuff. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes