Thread: Mp3 or Not???
View Single Post
Old 2005-03-04, 02:37 PM

Re: Mp3 or Not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
There's definitely something rotten going on but it's the stair step pattern of the high end roll off on the Analfreq (the name killed my kids BTW) and Audacity FAs that intrigues me. I've seen this phenomenon on several shows that *claim* to be from silvers (a recent Hendrix boot on Usenet comes to mind) and I have never been able to replicate it with any of the lossy encoders at my disposal. My experience of AAC is that you tend to get a typically steep and almost complete drop at the top end of the spectral analysis, around 16kHz and then a little island of frequencies after that, whose range and depth is determined by the bitrate at which the AAC was encoded.
well it's really the SA that's most alarming. lossy encoding is the only thing that causes the zoomed SA to look like it's built from squares. Just because it's from Silvers doesn't mean it's lossless... there was a Metallica '86 show on EZT directly from silvers which was mp3-sourced a while back.

and thanks for the Audacity tips. it would be cool if they would add cue stops which could be on the boundaries or not and a splitting function someday.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes