View Single Post
Old 2005-08-09, 10:57 PM
Non Serviam

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
[...]
With all due respect, I appreciate your vote of thanks for the assorted 'Black Napkins' .....BUT - you must have me mixed up with somebody else. I have never uploaded anything. I have supplied recordings to others to be seeded, but never been involved in an actual torrent other than to comment on it or the lineage.
[...]
Well that only verifies what you are saying in your post above the part I quoted. I needed to read the info file more closely, so partly my mistake.

What I was thanking you for was listed as:

Frank Zappa
Various Dates, Various Locations
Freezer's Choice #21 - The Zappa Tapes

The seeder didn't bother to list his handle in the info file, and the torrent info is deleted from the site (This is what I'm talkin' about!). Did you have a series called "Freezer's Choice #NN?

At least there is "credible" lineage listed in this particular infofile:

Unknown Mics and/or recorder > Cass(m) played back on JVC TD-W 209 > JVC XL-R5010 stand alone burner > CDR(1) > EAC (secure, offsets corrected) > FLAC (level 8)

Since it is Cass(m) I'm guessing the seeder doesn't even know you (otherwise Cass(1)), and is marketing his torrent with your name.

There is a user here, ssamadhi97, who occasionally graces our discussions and I am pretty sure is top is top-100-people-in-the-world caliber for spotting lossy sources in audio by studying spectrographs, but even he cannot but only roughly guess generation.

Freezer, I can only hope that you, too, will continue to check in and help us with bogus lineage warnings. It is one thing to be an expert in psycho-acoustics software like ssamadhi97, but you are the taper, you were there, you *know*.

I am not a taper, I was a "cassette(m)" collector at one time, and I have several (many?) shows that don't circulate. I keep waiting for the masters or first gens to come out, but not so far...however, I am determined not to take the stuff to the grave with me, it needs to be released, if not in pristine form, then in some form. Personally, I do not care so much about the people who will download now; rather I am thinking about posterity, several generations in the future and beyond. I can only hope that if I eventually release these recordings they will be distributed as widely as possible, and the shows will find their way to someone who cares enough to archive them and make them available for future generations.

As for lineage, it is a tough battle, and your posts open my eyes to how tough it really is, but I am not waving the white flag just yet, I am going to do my best to get the the bottom of these things.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes