View Single Post
Old 2007-02-23, 04:52 PM
TTD Staff

Re: Transfering DATs to My Computer??? Help requested!

like symon said, go digital if you can...

i like Audacity as my audio recording program when transferring shows--its free, has good support, available for both Mac and PC, and has all the "filters" you need [and a bunch you don't]...

cheers to ffooky who posted this a little while ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
Simplest method using Audacity and xACT:

1. Open your wave, Edit->Move Cursor...->Track Start and hit command-B.
2. Locate all your track splits and mark each one by hitting command-B.
3. Go to File->Export Multiple, select WAV as the export format, Split files based on:Labels, Name files:Numbering consecutively, hit Export.

You'll now have a nice set of consecutively numbered split tracks but they are not cut on sector boundaries. Fear not.

4. Open xACT and go to its fix SBE tab.
5. Add your freshly split WAV's, making extra sure that they appear in the correct order. Ignore the MD5 options, select your output format of choice and hit the Fix button.
6. Admire your handiwork.
fwiw, i would stay away using filters such as noise reduction, pop/hiss removal, etc...until you get into the higher-end studio gear, and have the real know-how to use it, those filters will do more harm than good...

the one thing i do use is normalize, which you'll apply to the whole .wav file [before starting track split above]...if there are any major spikes, you can manually reduce those first by zooming in closely and highlighting the spike, then Effect->Amplify...>and set "Amplification(dB)" to a negative dB amount [start with -2 or so] until it evens out with the peaks around it...be sure to listen carefully tho before keeping the change...once all spikes have been brought down, you can normalize--select the entire wav [OpenApple+A on Mac, or CTRL-A on PC], go to Effevt->Normalize...-> check Remove DC offset and normalize to -3dB->OK..once done you can start splittin tracks according to ffooky's post