View Single Post
Old 2009-01-05, 09:28 AM
Trader since 1980

Re: What computer hardware/software to use to get cassete to computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
... I don't know much about Alesis Masterlink ML9600. Alesis makes solid stuff. on some sources I sit for 8 hrs listening to a song and tweaking EQ .5 db to get just the right balance and I have to see the meters while I'm doing it. If your really serious about getting the most from your tapes, you'll have to crossfade tape flips and patch drop outs ect in post processing still even if you EQ on the alesis. I think I would rather cut the onboard EQ out and do it all in one fell sweep in post processing, but thats just my preference.
I'm not sure what point you're making in the first instance; the Alesis has meters. When tweaking the EQ, the Alesis allows you to switch it in and out whilst monitoring to judge the effect, as can be done with any of the other signal processing features.

The only thing it doesn't do is a crossfade between two separate tracks - you can fade each of them to silence, join them to each other (with or without fades), crop them, but you can't superimpose the fade-out of one onto the fade-in of the next. Drop-outs are easy to crop out.

I find the front panel controls of the Alesis to be far more intuitive and user-friendly than, for instance, the Audacity interface. Operations which are a press of two buttons on the Alesis require selection, menu, drag etc with the mouse, and seem to be far more cumbersome on the PC.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes