View Single Post
Old 2005-06-11, 08:13 AM
You are TOO

Re: Slow Downloads....

Ok, since you've determined you have a router, you also must forward the same port(s) that you opened in the firewall, ie. 6881~6885. I'll need the name/model number of the router so I can try and find out how to get to the settings although, you "should" know. You should have a name/password for the router's settings and a url to get to the settings - such as http://192.168.1.1 (it may be different for your model).

If you already know how to get to the settings, all you have to do is look for the "Port Forwarding" or "forwarding" section and enter the LAN IP address (see below) of the computer that you will use to run the bitorrent client. You'll also have to enter the port(s) mentioned above and make sure you forward the ports for TCP only (UDP is not necessarly for bitorrent).

There are two IPs you have, since you're on a network - your WAN IP and your LAN IP. The LAN IP is the one you're concerned with here. Enter that one in the router's port forwarding settings. You can find your LAN IP somewhere in the router's settings. I'm not sure what section it would be in because I don't know the make/model of your router. Look for something similar to "DHCP Clients Table" and then look for the name of the computer you're running the client on. THAT IP is the LAN IP for that particular computer. If you can't find it, go to the Start Button and look for the shortcut named "Command Prompt". Click it and enter (without quotes), "systeminfo" and hit Enter. After a few seconds, you'll get some info about your system (surprise ). At the bottom of that info, you'll see "IP address(es)" - that is your LAN IP - DO NOT use the DHCP Server address.

I thik I covered it all. Try finding your router's settings and entering the info above. If you have problems, post back with make/model of router.

Note that your LAN IP may change. If you ever have problems with your client after it has been working and you haven't made any changes, check your LAN IP again.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes