View Single Post
Old 2006-04-30, 07:11 PM
DeepElemBlue

Brand Spankin' Newbie

Okay, So I am a newbie. I have been investigating this tape trading phenomenom for a little less than a week now, and I am thoroughly intrigued. I think that this is an amazing community, and that the preservation of such beautiful music is an invaluable thing.

I have been reading, researching, and investigating all of this technical jargin in all (yes, ALL) of my spare time for days straight now. I think I am beginning to really have a grasp on some of the methods and software used to transfer music from person to person.

Here is my first problem. I am stuck in the stone ages, and am currently using a dial up connection. This (in my mind) pretty much limits me to snail mail trades, which is totally fine. I think it seems fun.

I have read about shn's, FLAC, and EAC almost to the point of my eyes popping out of my head, and I am really learning a lot. Right now, the only CDR burning software that I have is Windows Media Player. It didn't take me long to figure out that this is unacceptable, and obsolete to say the very least.

So I am researching what tools I need to be a serious trader. I am worried about downloading EAC onto my computer for a number of reasons. First and foremost is the threat of viruses. Secondly, right there in black and white on the download page is a warning that this is a "beta" only version, which should only be used by "experienced users". My search continues.

I am seriously considering investing in a Plextor external DVD burner, which comes bundled with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. The reveiws that I have read are amazing, and it seems as though "everyone" on the internet thinks that these are superior products.

So my questions are these...

1. Does anyone have experience with these tools, and can you perhaps offer some advice?
2. Does Roxio offer the same quality EAC?
3. Will Roxio allow me to format music in shn and FLAC, and also allow me to convert it back?
4. If not, can I purchase software that will allow me to format in shn and FLAC (and back again) from a retailer, to install it myself (instead of just blindly downloading it off of the internet)?

I have searched and searched, and these questions go unanswered. I think I need a t-shirt that says "audiophile in training".

I am very new to this. I am very serious about trading music, and watching it grow. I want to maintain the integrity of this process at all costs, and am willing to read until I am blue in the face to do so. I am excited about being involved in this community, and want to do it the right way.

I would like to thank you in advance for your time, patience, and advice.

I hope I can find some answers here, at this point, I am taking ALL of the help I can get.

Thanks,

Ellen =)
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes