View Single Post
Old 2011-10-17, 07:32 PM

Question pc to mac... how to make the transition?

Planning to bravely wade into the mac world with a mac mini. Currently using a gateway laptop that has been with me since I discovered the wonderful world of file sharing & Trader's Den. I store music on an external hard drive & have been playing directly off the hard drive through Foobar2000, outputting from the PC via USB using a Nuforce uDAC into my older (but very nice) Rotel amp. I have browsed the FAQ... & it makes me nervous. I would really appreciate any insights from others that have been through this before! (so much great music & so much work to get to this point!) Specific questions/issues:

What player can I use to play flac and shn?
I have been using Azureus for my BitTorrent software, it looks like I can continue to use this program w/ the mac
I formatted my hard drive (about 500 GB music at this point). fat32. I think I will be ok with the mac mini here, but would love confirmation.
With whatever player I use, is there anything I need to pay attention to to make sure my tags stay intact (that was a ton of work the first time, don't want to repeat)
I noticed that apple/mac has a "lossless" file format. Should I consider converting the library or a copy of the library?
Anybody ever play around with the 'Toaster' software? A friend indicated that it would play flac? I don't know about shn.

Seriously, this has me very skiddish. I was amazed (& shocked) by the lack of players listed in the FAQ that will play flac & shn. I appreciate any insights/thoughts/ideas from the folks on this site.

Thank you!
Brian.

Last edited by islandraider; 2011-10-17 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes