View Single Post
Old 2007-01-07, 12:08 PM
TTD Staff

Re: New Downloader with questions and a WELCOME

welcome to The Den bob

Quote:
1. I really dont have anything to UPLOAD, or donate to the public, but im assuming that when I have finished dloading a show, that OTHERS will be able to dload it from me, correct?
correct, it is BT ettiquette to leave a torrent open and running until you've reached atleast a 1:1 ratio - which means you've uploaded as much as you downloaded...

Quote:
2. Ive only got about 60 free gigs on my hard drive, so i can only store about 4-5 shows. Can I "compress" these shows or transfer them to an external hard drive, so I will have more to share with the public?
i guess you could zip/rar a dvd's fileset, but what the majority of us do is burn the data to a disc for archiving...but be sure to keep all of the files with it, including the checksum. info text, art, etc

Quote:
3. Im downloading the Vegas 91 show (Dew-Steve Miller) with uTorrent and was hitting about 50 kbps last night, but now am around 1/2 that, is this normal? I have a pretty good machine with cable.
yes, yer d/l speeds will vary, as it not only is dependent on yer connection speeds, but also the number of seeds currently on the torrent, as well as their own u/l speeds...

Quote:
4. Is it "normal" for a show to take 6-10 days to downlaod?
its not out of the ordinary, especially if the DVD is dual layer, or if the seeders have extremely limited u/l speeds

Quote:
5. Once Ive dloaded the files, is there a recommended software that I use
for transferring these files onto dvds? I notice that the files are in "folders" (dvd1, dvd2, dvd3). Will the software know which files appear first? I dont want to transfer the show in the wrong order!
no, you will need to burn them by disc manually...but we'll need to know what program you use to burn DVDs with before getting more specific

Quote:
6. Finally, do these shows come with "cover art"? I noticed one of the Vegas shows had a lovely screen cap of dvd cover art, do they all come with this (probably not) Is there software available where I can create my own "cover art?
some do, some don't...we have a Covers sub-forum with alot of artwork, and there are numerous other sites dedicated to cover art

as for as making yer own, any graphics prog should be able to...but most folks use Photoshop i would say