View Single Post
Old 2010-11-11, 11:10 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member

Re: Standalone FLAC player to connect to HiFi

There are a lot of alternatives just like the REVO. I hope I don't sound like a spokesperson.

The key with these REVO like products that use the Atom processor is to use audio/video software that allows hardware acceleration. Not all does. This moves the video calcs from the slow atom processor to the ion video chip (ion2 with the new REVO 3700). I use Media Player Home Cinema which is free. Without hardware acceleration the video is choppy.

I don't know that mine is setup completely correctly because I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. I am having some difficulties with some blurays. I get a little stutter (very minor with no drops in audio) sometimes. I have seen videos on the internet with the REVO playing blurays flawlessly so I don't know if it is on my end or they are faking videos. I get the stutters on bluray files when streamed over my network or with a USB hard drive plugged in.

It plays 1080p mkv with 24 bit audio perfectly. No glitches at all. This make me think it should play blurays also.

Keep in mind the 3610 is the old model. I think they are selling the 3700 now.

It is my understanding that it works with ASIO drivers and is bitperfect.

It does 24/192 over hdmi perfectly.

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably build a super cheap micro ATX computer with a better cheap CPU. Something like a core I5. I think you could do that in a cheap box for about the same price. The down side would be it would use more energy, be bigger, and louder but I think it would be worth it.