View Single Post
Old 2011-01-25, 06:13 PM
C'est Bon

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

Alright damn it...I'll be the "other people" everyone has been wanting to hear from. My two cents is that I actually spend more time in the lounge than I do in the music torrents. Personally, I have been trading for a long time, and got into doing it digitally with DC++. I have a shit load of music...probably more than I will ever be able to listen to. With that said, I enjoy spending time in the GD areas. Everyone here seems to have their own quirks (no big revelation there).

Grain of salt...

There seems to be a more serious vibe in all other areas of the site related to video and audio torrents, tech help, etc. It gets a little harsher in certain areas like the piano bar and the political forums. That's fine, you can't be super serious about politics or music, or people fly off the handle. Then we have the lounge. I think Lynne said it best in the posting guidelines...

Quote:
if you are here just to attack someone else or troll the forums, please leave. We don't want you here. If you are here to just sit back with friends, discuss different things on your mind, and occasionally take humorous stabs at each other, stick around!
That is really a solid 85% to 90% of what goes on in there. The tags are really just stabs at people...with a minor amount of trolling going on there. There are a few places with some trolling going on, but it is pretty isolated to mostly threads that Art likes to frequent. I personally don't have a problem with him, and actually find some of his flame ups humorous, and I'd say 97% of the trolling tags belong to him. Still, having the ability to put people on ignore generally helps.

Should the answer be to have a 100% unmoderated forum? I don't think it is, but it is a different way of thinking than what has already been thrown out there. If so, the lounge will have to heavily moderated to enforce the rules, and the only other option will be to push users over to an unmoderated forum to get back freedoms they once had. I will say that the rules are not enforced in the lounge...or at least very sparingly. Could there be a few people that need a temporary time out, sure...However, it could be a lot worse. It could really turn to a giant flaming shit hole, but for the most part the people that do frequent there have some morals, and common sense enough to cool out after a little while.

The be all end all is that I don't want to lose the freedom I have now in the lounge, and at the same time, I don't think an unmoderated forum would be a good thing either due to the total bullshit users would have to endure to have the freedom to post the way we do now.

At best I would say to bring back the temp ban from the lounge if you get too far out of line. If you take your aggression out in the other forums, then use a site wide temp ban, but with an emphasis on temporary. But, mods cannot be involved in the trolling activities or flame wars, and that is something that is best suited for another discussion brought up by someone other than B_K (don't do it ).

There is my long ass two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes