View Single Post
Old 2005-12-17, 01:07 PM

Re: Ratio Enforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicDeez
Now that the new tracker has been running for a few months, is there any possibility to enforcing ratio? This is something that a few of us seeders are starting to get fed up with, and would like to see a change, or we may have to change where we seed. Comments? Suggestions?? I am proposing maybe an enforcement of a .65 or better ratio. I know that is a little low, but we have to start somewhere.
Hi Ric,
First off I want to say thanks to everyone who gives so much such as yourself. I really appreciate it.

Though I agree with SRE you have to remember that there are people who don't tape but are willing to give band width, funds ect. to be a contributor. That said, when a person first jumps on board they are going to have to be a dl'er before thay can give (unless funds will buy a lower ration or something like that). A .6 ratio makes it tough for them to even get started unless you have a fairly high cycle increment. I mean, during the course of a typical torrent I very seldom will attain that kind of ratio so if the cycle is less than the file set size and for some reason there is an interruption during the download a person could end up being excluded from contributing before they even have a chance.

Lets say the SRE is .6 and the cycle is 5 gig. Someone comes along and creates an account and find a great DVD9 that they want to grab. They get the torrent and are pulling down a screaming 80K but are only putting up 10. They get 7 gig into the torrent and their wife decides she isn't going to wait another day to check her email and BitTorrent make everything so slow. She kills the program and BAM they can't join the torrent anymore? Is this how it would work or would there be some way to join a partially completed torrent as a seeder? What if you set the ratio low for the first X gig of traffic for a person then increment it up as they become more of either a help or a burden? That way someone who is willing to give as much or more than they take would have a chance to build a buffer up against such a situation.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes