Thread: vinyl to flac?
View Single Post
Old 2004-12-04, 10:33 AM
moemusic

Re: vinyl to flac?

One other thing. Some sound cards can induce noise. So what I do is a make a 2-3 second silent wav before I record. Another on after teh first side of an album is done and another when both sides are done. This is to see if the noise of the sound card changes with time/temperature.

Then I compare these silent waves via the noise profile, If they're pretty close then i just use one as a noise profile to run the noise filter.

Also, what I do is I get a noise profile from the silence at the beginnng of the lp, between tracks, and at teh end of the lp. I then run noise filter using the noise profiles from the silence that surround tracks on each side of the silence. this gets rid of any "needle" noise. Needle noise changes as a function of the needle's distance from teh center. Obviously if you have a live album you can only sample the beginning and end of the lp for noise but that would be fine. Make sure any selection you are getting a noise profile from contains no music. Hafta becareful at track endings and find where the fade is actually silent. Live albums won't have this problem tho.

Now if anyone questions this method of reduceing noise, I'd be glad to provide a before and after sample of an album I've done in this manner. I'm on dial up atm so I'd hafta send a disc through mail.

Here's a good forum tht can address any questions regarding sound forge and cep/adobe aduiton

http://www.audiomastersforum.org/
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes