View Single Post
Old 2005-03-02, 09:08 AM
Renegade Geek

Re: Firefox User Agent Switch

I am reading the html site now, and it looks fine. Then I switch over the flash version, and some of the content won't render in Firefox, but will with IE. As jazzbo said, the user agent should just identify itself as IE to websites, but it will not actually use the IE engine to render the page, so poorly designed websites made to only render correctly on IE will not display properly in Firefox.

This is one issue that I have become increasinly aware of lately. There are far too many ignorant developers who have fallen into the trap of using MS-specific code, and it seems whoever built this page has done the same thing. By not adhering to standards, they have become browser-specifc and thus not all contents works on alternate browsers. There are an embarassingly high amount of corporate and private websites that simply won't display on Firefox because of the use of ActiveX controls and other IE specific garbage. Web designers who are worth their salt should make pages that will display on any browser....

As much as I hate to say it, I still have to keep IE around for these types of cases.

With Flash, there is no reason or excuse to not have it cross-browser supported, in my opinion.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes