View Single Post
Old 2008-07-09, 07:39 PM
TTD VIP

Re: d1:failure reason74:Connection limit exceeded! You should only seed/upload 10 shows at a time.e

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
It's just a standard error message. I'd have to look at the actual code that spits out the error, but I would not worry about it - it still tells you exactly what the error is.
Well, actually, what I saw was: Tracker: [Could not parse bencoded data

I had to post on the rtorrent mailing list and enable a debugging flag to actually see the subject error; perhaps a bit more of a hurdle than it should be. If the error message was correctly encoded, I think my client would have displayed it, reducing my confusion. Maybe not, though, not a big deal. I wonder if others have been similarly confused however.

Quote:
The problem is that if you have 20 torrents open and you have a 5 Mb uplink, then you average only about .25Mb per torrent - which is about 40 B/s per torrent. That is an OK number (some users still only seed at that with one torrent open). However, it is usually best to pick the torrents that most need your seed and just seed those - they will finish faster and then be able to seed for others and then you can pick others to seed.
What I observe is not lots of small streams but a small number of large streams which change over time, how would I know in advance which ones need seeding? Would I need to keep opening and closing torrents to track them? Even a fanatic like myself can only spare so much time monitoring TTD!

Quote:
And yes, you would only notice this in affect when you go to start a torrent after you had it off. That is when it goes to 'count' how many torrents you are already seeding and then spits out that error if you are over the 10 max limit.
That's the part that threw me; the inability to reopen old torrents. Just seemed weird that I could be opening new torrents to leech but not old ones to seed. But now I understand it, thanks for the explanation, plus I learned something useful about my client. Still, having been running dozens of simultaneous torrents (mostly seeding) for weeks, my client seems very threadbare with only ten! But it doesn't seem to be having any problem saturating my 250KB threshold at the moment either.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes