Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
excellent post... I understand much better now thanks very much
That's great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutBoy View Post
The sampling rate determines the bandwidth (frequency range) of the recording. The practical reason for increasing the sample rate in digital systems is because it makes it easier (and cheaper) to implement low-pass filters.
could you explain what you mean here? how does it make it easier and cheaper to implement LPF and what is the practical use?
I can see how that was a bit unclear, sorry about that. I was actually referring to the workings of D/A-converters.
But it's actually not technically correct to (as I did) refer to oversampling as increasing the sample rate. It is more of an interpolation of the data.

Here is an brief explanation of oversampling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

Quote:
I normally use 24bit/44.1kHz (or 32bit/44.1kHz) when there's some adjustments to be made. Not only for better signal-to-noise/dynamic range but to avoid the re-re-re-re-re-rounding off of sample values if there's some processing happening before I dither down to 16bit/44.1kHz.
That's a good practice.

Quote:
Am I understanding correctly that you do not recommend using a sample rate above 44.1kHz ?
I think this is a good rule: "The optimal sample rate should be largely based on the required signal bandwidth." - Sampling Theory For Digital Audio, Dan Lavry
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes