View Single Post
Old 2005-03-22, 04:22 PM

Re: Standards for physically trading and b&p'ing DVDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraras
As far as the .ifo and .bup changing, I obviously don't love the idea, as I'm an anal perfectionist who likes the md5's to check exactly... but these are just pointers and at the end of the day do not change the 'content' of the DVD, right? (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm more of an audio guy in intellect) With that said, if the VOBs pass md5, then really you don't have a matching fileset, but you have the important/vital data, right?

Someone mentioned this issue being the SBE's of the video world and while the pointers to basically serve the same purpose--in my understanding--the editing of the ifo and bup files do not produce artifacts that degrade the watching/listening experience as SBE's do in the case of clicks between tracks on CD-A. So I agree, but to a varying degree

best,
Jim
Good points. I have sort of "decided" for myself that the .VOB files have to match, and not the .ifo and .bup files. I don't know enough about this matter to defend this decision though...

Could a faulty .ifo file introduce a pause/stalling of approximately 2 seconds between chapters on a DVD or would that be caused by something different? I have some DVDs with this happening. Would love to be able to correct it.

And another thing: If Toast/Nero actually does good to some DVDs .ifo and .bup files - I would not like to use a burning app that doesn't - but then again that's the whole basis of this discussion and I'm still puzzled...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes