View Single Post
Old 2006-05-14, 03:20 PM

Re: Some opinions/help, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *dJ*
About the FM, don't think I can get it from the station. Especially since it's broadcasted 5 or 6 years ago, but if I could it would still be lossy (without the noise) woudn't it?
yeah, that might be the case but it might also be possible that they have an archived version of the show before it was lossy-encoded.

Quote:
[re:#4]You are saying the wav [from first post] comes from mp3? How is it then possible the mp3 has some more small drops e.g. at 4,5 and 7 kHz.

When and in which file do you say the deletion is made to hide the mp3 ugliness? I think I am missing the point here..

Found the taper, but I doubt he is still using that e-mail account.

The best option left is I can get ahold of the other (incomplete) source..
it was just a guess that maybe the wav from the 1st post is a modified mp3, or maybe recorded at a really low sample rate... it is terrible, whatever it is. really hard to say for certain, I'm just guessing at how it could have become like that.

Quote:
ehm you was talking about the 12 kHz cutoff in your first post, but the fifth show has a cutoff at 8 kHz.. so not really sure if/where you are mixxing things up.
I'm getting confused now too, but #4 is clearly lossy for sure and should not be traded.

Quote:
I see, I was looking for way smaller blockiness (pixel-like). If it was one big block with cutoff at 15Khz it would have been a clear/good fm?
no, not that I've ever seen, anyways. when the cutoff is straight across like that I have always found little blocks inside. a good FM cuts off at about 15kHz but it is not so perfectly straight, looks like it has a bit of "stubble" at the top and, of course, the carrier (red stripe) hovering above. find an old show (pre-1990s) that is a good source from FM and take a look you will see what I mean.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes