View Single Post
Old 2005-12-08, 11:47 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP

Re: DVD authoring: ASPECT RATIO?!?!?!?

Re: 4:3 to widescreen question
Well, I just wrote out a detailed explanation but closed the browser before clicking 'post reply'.
Here's a brief explanation while it's on my mind...
1. File > Properties > Video tab >NTSC DV Widescreen
2. Right click the video file > properties > Media tab > 1.2121 Widescreen aspect ratio. Then look at the Video Event tab and look at the 'Maintain Aspect Ratio and make sure it is either checked or unchecked depending on the situation. (I think just from memory that you need to have it unchecked)
3. Right click the video preview and check the Simulate Device Aspect Ratio.
4. Crop the 4:3 Video to 16:9 by clicking on the Crop Icon on the video file (right side). Select the 16:9 preset from the dropdown menu.

Best option is to first film it in widescreen (16:9) then you just skip step 4.

If it is filmed in 4:3 and "cinema mode" is either not used or not even an option on your camera, then you will need to use 'pan and scan' to crop it to 16:9 to keep the desired portion of the video in the screen (and not cropped out)...

Note: If you're multicam mixing with Excalibur4.5 script (or free script DoubleTake), render each video first to 16:9 then add the video files to the Multicam mix. I tried doing the cropping after multi cam mixing, but it wouldn't let me. In other words, get all of the aspect ratios correct, then start the mixing (I guess that's only logical too).

Anyway, I hope that helps some...

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes