View Single Post
Old 2005-03-11, 06:35 AM

Re: What does PCM stand for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L
Actually, I had used Google beforehand (why the saracasm?), but I didn't realise PCM referred to the process of A/D conversion. I thought it was some kind of physical medium, like everything else in that lineage.
In this case, it's D/A conversion, not A/D.

Lineage doesn't refer exclusively to physical mediums but rather refers to both the processing and storage that is used to process and preserve the signal.

In your given lineage, "SBD > MR > PCM > DAT > CDR" one would assume that the "MR" is some sort of digital storage medium (PCM data on analog tape), since the PCM decoding stage > DAT would not be necessary if the Master Reel was analog (DAT having onboard A>D converters). Since the storage medium is PCM digital, it doesn't matter much what kind of physical medium (video tape or multitrack) was used, but it might be nice to specify the decoder used. You will also often see lineage that include the model sound card and also the DAW's used to process the signal.

And also.... rherron was being POLITELY sarcastic in answering your question. WHY ???? BECAUSE...... while many people who hang in tech forums are more than happy to undertake the challenge of solving problems and exercising their brains to benefit others, it is always preferred that the questioner has made the MINIMUM effort to look into the issue on their own, rather than oblige the forum member to answer the same question over and over, or (as in this case) conduct a mini lesson in audio engineering. A lot of times, you'll LEARN a lot about a subject from just the peripheral discussion about a topic, but it always will buy you a dose of respect if you take the time to TRY to work out the problem or question first. One of the basic techniques that I use with my experienced computer friends for problem solving basically consists of discussing exactly where to LOOK for information about the problem. You'll always learn more when you start skimming and absorbing material this way.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes