View Single Post
Old 2004-11-26, 12:15 PM
New Homebrew

Re: How do I convert my Master Cassette to FLAC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
Of course, now my plans are for video and I need to get a good SVHS deck and a video stabilizer to do my vids, but it would have to wait for a good turntable for my LP conversions...then I run into that d*mn computer induced noise during that conversion. Argh!
You need a JVC HR-S9800U VCR. Fantastic deck for playback when capturing. They aren't made anymore but you can find one on ebay for around $300. It has a built-in TBC that isn't as powerful as a dedicated hardware unit but works quite effectively for eliminating VHS artifact and A/V synch issues.

I would recommend using an external hardware converter for your SVHS capture. Standalone DVD recorders are fairly inflexible when it comes to bitrate options and you have very limited ability to edit your final product. Using a DV capture device you capture your tape in DV format (large ucompressed video file), which you can then edit/filter/mask/crop before you render to the compressed mpeg-2 format.

Back to the audio thing, you can probably find a suitable DAT unit for around $100 or even less.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes