View Single Post
Old 2004-11-24, 03:17 PM
Renegade Geek

Re: FLAC, SHN, Conversions, etc...A virtual potpourri

OK...I just ran downloaded dbPowerAmp and ran it through a battery of tests. I made up a sample batch of .wav files, some with SBEs and some without. I then compressed to SHN and FLAC, and both outputted identical shntool md5s as the original WAV. I then compressed the SHNs directly to FLAC in batch, and back. Again, identical.

I honestly can't figure out where I got those errors I experienced before, but I am content right to say that dbPowerAmp appears up to the job.

I still recommend not deleting the input files until you run a BitVerify with foobar2000 or shntool -comp check to ensure that the result files are acoustically identical to the input files. ALWAYS double check your work. I cant stress this point enough..

I would continue to use dbPowerAmp if you like it, and if you run a comparison of the audio fingerprint on both files and it results the same, you know your files are the same and can move on an delete the originals.

I know I experienced some flaky behavior with this a while back, but I honestly can't repeat it and will say for now that I think this is sound software. If you ever do experience a changed fingerprint as the result of dbPowerAmp, please let me know and we'll try to pinpoint exactly how and why is messed up. If not, I'll assume I screwed up somehow back then and leave it at that...
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes