View Single Post
Old 2010-02-22, 09:41 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Van Halen 1982-10-12 Largo, MD (DVD9) (NTSC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive625 View Post

Deuce being a glorified dub jockey on some overpriced pro-sumer processing amplifiers doesn't make you an expert on anything.
i wouldn't exactly call a digi8 camcorder & standalone DVD recorder "pro-sumer" gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue View Post
Really? What do you know about the JVC DRM-100?

Oh, I understand that you think its "crap" but you didnt say why its crap. You just its a "crap standalone recorder".
Quote:
So, you believe all standalone units are "crap". Is that correct?
Its safe to say going by that, the answer to my question is no, that you dont know about the JVC DRM-100.
since you don't seem to wanna accept the quick n easy answer from him, i'll give you the longer, more technically-flavored response

as the JVC website clearly states -- its a consumer product designed for home entertainment systems [i.e recoring tv shows or transferring those home VHS tapes of Bobby's 3rd birthday party -- not professional grade transfers for archival purposes]...released maybe 5-6 years ago, originally cost around $300, you can now find em on ebay for $50

as a consumer grade product, you can count on a few things...for one, the A>D conversion will be mediocre at best [more than likely it'd be bottom-of-the-barrel]...but most importantly the compression engines that standalone DVD recorders use are completely inferior quality-wise to a program based encoder

yes there are a handful of decent SAs that don't suffer from the above, however they sold for thousands of dollars, not a coupla hundred...people in the film/video business don't use standalone DVD recorders, and there's plenty of reasons why

Quote:
It would only be relevant if that person deals with low gen and multi-generated vhs all the time and has transferred several upgrades.
that is seriously one of the daftest responses that you coulda given...hopefully yer just a kid, cuz otherwise they might be right re: the whole ego issue thing...either way, its relevant -- cuz yes, i'm that person who deals with all kinds of formats including VHS for the purposes of transferring and digitizing...& the fact that you'd like to believe doing a handful of VHS transfers makes you more of an expert than myself and others here who trained & work in the field doing this for a living is beyond comprehension to me

i go down on my woman regularly, that doesn't make me an OB/GYN

again -- don't be afraid to admit yer a major fan of VH, and as a hobby yer an amateur video enthusiast that does some transfers...there's nothing wrong with that!

but might i make a few suggestions, if ya want to learn more about A>D transferring and improve the overall quality of yer transfers:

1. videohelp.com is not a resource used by video professionals, its amateurs pretending like they know shit...there is more inaccurate information on that site than Fox News, so grain of salt with anything thats posted there...i would find one of the more reputable forums for reading/learning...2pop, creativecow, dvinfo.net, cinematography.com forums -- all are much better resources...also Ken Stone's site has a lot of great info for the novice & pro alike

2. ditch the Digi8 camcorder for anything other than transferring Digi8 tapes...its a consumer camcorder released almost a decade, with low-end A>D conversion...and although i believe you when you say it has TBC/DNR, i find it interesting that nowhere on Sony's site/spec pages does it mention this camera having either of those...actually when googling that camera's make/model along with TBC and DNR, the only sites that pop up are posts you've made and a few from videohelp [refer to previous point]...but even if it does, it yer much better off using a dedicated A>D converter & TBC -- quality will be far superior...

from my experience, the best-for-cheap would be a Grass Valley ADVC300 [which i use a lot for VHS transfers]...but if you want the best possible quality--companies like For-A, Blackmagic, AJA, and now even Motu

3. ditch the standalone and use a decent encoder...i generally use Episode Pro, Sorensen Squeeze Pro, or Compressor [depending on what i'm encoding to]...but any professional or even prosumer software encoder will be better than the SA's compression