View Single Post
Old 2010-02-23, 09:12 AM
TTD Staff

VHS Transfers & Quality

from a PM sent by sabkisscrue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkisscrue
Hey,
I wanted to reply to you here because I think this is more of a private discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
as the JVC website clearly states -- its a consumer product designed for home entertainment systems [i.e recoring tv shows or transferring those home VHS tapes of Bobby's 3rd birthday party -- not professional grade transfers for archival purposes]...released maybe 5-6 years ago, originally cost around $300, you can now find em on ebay for $50
If you can find one of those units in like new condition it would go for much more than $50,
a non-working unit may go for $50 though.
I am disappointed though, that the only research you done on the unit itself was on JVC's web site. The fact is the "encoder" in this unit is one of the best encoders they ever put into a standalone recorder. You would have found that out if you did further research.
You would have also found out, that it happens to have the best noise reduction filters
ever put into a standalone unit, that comes in handy when transferring vhs. I believe you as a "professional" would be very happy this unit and with the results of its "encoding" quality.

Quote:
but most importantly the compression engines that standalone DVD recorders use are completely inferior quality-wise to a program based encoder
With all due respect, you are not telling me what I dont know. The reason I even have that jvc is because im incredibly disappointed with the look of standalone recorded dvds.
I wanted better and the JVC produces better dvds and gives me the result im looking for.
As a matter of fact JVC put the "encoder" that is in the DRM100 that I use in some recent professional decks. So, its safe to say what I use is of "professional" quality. If you want, I can point out to you where to find those pro standalone decks, if you dont believe me.

Quote:
yes there are a handful of decent SAs that don't suffer from the above, however they sold for thousands of dollars, not a coupla hundred
Read above.

Quote:
i'm that person who deals with all kinds of formats including VHS for the purposes of transferring and digitizing...
What have you done from vhs tapes? Now im curious.
Id like to see your results.

Quote:
the fact that you'd like to believe doing a handful of VHS transfers makes you more of an expert than myself and others here who trained & work in the field doing this for a living is beyond comprehension to me
I dont know where you got that impression. The fact is, I respect "professionals" opinions more than I do anyone else.

Quote:
1. videohelp.com is not a resource used by video professionals
This is incorrect. As a matter of fact,
there is a couple of "professionals" on that site whos opinion I respect the most, out of anyone.

Quote:
2. ditch the Digi8 camcorder for anything other than transferring Digi8 tapes
Have you ever used one of these to transfer 8mm/hi8 tapes? Its the way to go. Im telling you.
These also are great cameras.
This camera also functions as an excellent pass through filter to clean up vhs noise.

Quote:
3. ditch the standalone and use a decent encoder...
When it comes to cleaning up the noise on vhs and camera sources. I opt for the JVC.