Thread: Firewalled
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-12, 11:12 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Firewalled

I've split your firewall problem out from the other thread so it's easier for me to follow.

OK, so, you have told your computer to use a static IP of 192.168.1.2 when it talks to your router. Right now, everytime the router gets information sent in, if it was told the request originated from 192.168.1.2, then it gets sent to your computer.

To the outside world, you are using 131.191.95.13 (right now). This *appears* to be a dynamic IP from your host. Meaning, every so often, your host drops that IP and gives you another. That is fine, that is very common, and no problem whatsoever with this *unless you enter that IP into a field somewhere on your computer*. Can we assume that you haven't entered that IP into your bt client or into your Network TCP/IP box?

The thing that is now confusing me is that nowhere on this Netgear portforwarding page does it say to turn off DHCP. I am totally unfamiliar with that router, so I don't know if it just assumes you must be static since you forwarded a port for yourself. One thing that did seem strange on there is when I entered my static IP of 192.168.1.155, near the bottom when it was having me forward my ports, it said to do so for 192.168.0.155. That is not what I do on my router, I do it to 192.168.1.155 . I'm not sure if you have tried playing with that at all.

I did a little googling and found this page by Netgear on how to portforward for your router: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_f...sp#RP614Anchor . They also show IP addys with the '0' in the middle instead of the '1' I am used to. Strange.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes