View Single Post
Old 2007-01-06, 10:03 AM
TTD Staff

Angry Re: Trader's Little Helper

Thanks for the details, sammywho. I hate to say this but I have to bring you bad news ...

As you can see from the error messages when requesting audio file details you're having a problem with Windows OS. All the functions that won't work properly use the command-line application shntool (shntool does the job, TLH mainly analyses/logs the output messages of shntool).

A couple of users reported the same fatal error - C:\WINDOWS\shntool.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory error message. The problem is that Windows OS (WinXP SP2 to be precise) refuses to give shntool the memory needed. I think this "behaviour" is introduced by either one of the Windows security updates or the way the update was received (direct file download or use of Windows Update).

Until now there is no workaround/fix known to get Windows "back to normal"! Even an un-install of the latest release and re-install of the previous release of TLH will not help at all. This really sucks ... #&!§% ...

I know of two users who got so "frustated" that they did a complete new WinXP SP2 installation. And TLH/shntool works properly again ...

For me it's impossible to track that error down because on one of my machines I'm running WinXP SP2 with all updates and there aren't any problems with TLH. So I can only hope that somehow I'll get my hands on a machine where that error occurs ... but I'm afraid this won't happen. Maybe someone out there knows what to do???

Robert
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes