View Single Post
Old 2006-05-23, 04:19 PM
TTD Staff

Passkey Tracker coming on Wednesday....

This is the thread for people to post questions about the passkey tracker we will begin to use on Wednesday. The site will be closed while I make the modifications. Then, a notice will be posted at the top of the forum telling you that we are now in passkey mode and you will need to redownload your torrents. If you do not redownload the torrent file, your bittorrent client will start to give you errors!

Please post all your questions and problems in this thread so that it is easy for me to address.

This is currently working correctly on Azureus, uTorrent, and BitTorrent (as of 10 am PST). If you have DHT enbabled in your bt client, you will still be connecting to people not using the passkey system. However, your stats won't update and they won't show up on the Peers List here.

Thanks for everyone's patience while I iron out all the problems. And thanks for the detailed information (errors, clients, OS) that allows me to figure out the problems.

Some additional information:

Personalized torrents (or what some people call a passkey tracker) make sure that the tracker identifies each person by a unique 'passkey' that they get assigned. When you download a personalized torrent, it will have this passkey embeded in it. When your bittorrent client talks to the tracker, it is given your passkey and thus it knows exactly who to credit any upload or download stats to. Our tracker has been using your IP to identify you. This did not always work well when users had dynamic IPs or shared an apartment with someone else also using the tracker.

What this means is that unpersonalized torrents will no longer work on this site. Once we go into passkey mode, your torrent files will give you an error. You must then go back to the thread where you got the torrent file and redownload the torrent file. You must then remove the old torrent file from your bittorrent client and then start the new one up and point it to your download. There is a pictorial tutorial on how to do this in Azureus here - don't forget to delete the torrent from your Azureus window first, before you add the new personalized torrent!

For now on, when you upload a torrent to the site, you must then download a new torrent file that is personalized for you and start that torrent in order to connect to the tracker. If you use the torrent you uploaded, which is not personalized, you will get an error!

UPDATE: OK, we have *something* new installed. I'm very frazzled right now so be kind in your posts. (In the middle of my database mods, the host had to do an emergency reboot of the router. This screwed me up because I was in the middle of the install, so I had to manually make a bunch of database changes. Then my linksys piece-of-sh*t router decided to keep disconnecting me. Anyone want to recommend me a good, reliable router? Not wireless, we have a separate belkin access point for that.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes