View Single Post
Old 2005-09-27, 05:03 PM

Re: Dual Layer DVD's & the layer break

It all depends on the software you use for authoring, and if the burning software listens to it when you place the layer break.

I created a dual layer DVD in DVDMaestro on the PC a year ago. spent a lot of time to calculate the sector size and get the layers the correct size (L0 has to be bigger than L1, and both have to be under X number of bytes). when i finally got the layer break in the perfect spot and made the IMG file, i went to burn with dvd decrypter, since maestro is old and doesn't recognize my burner now. DVDDecrypter totally ignored where I wanted to put the layer break.

I guess this setting was either in my layout file or in the image. regardless, it must have been implementation-specific. DVD Decrypter's way of burning DL discs didn't care, and just put it right in the middle of the file.

Now DVD Decrypter has a setting for dual layer where you can specify the number of sectors in L0. So if you've already calculated this, you can just copy/paste that number. so this way it's not automated.

I've never copied a DVD9 so I don't know if dvd decrypter (or toast/whatever) keeps the layer break in the same spot for copies. And i'm sure some programs will preserve it and some will just figure out where they think the best spot is.

Even if you get it right on the discs you burn, there's no way to guarantee people will copy the disc the same way and preserve the layer break. So consider that and decide if it matters enough to skip dual layer authoring. personally i don't care. I think my current dvd player buffers through them. never noticed a layer switch on it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes