View Single Post
Old 2007-04-07, 11:38 AM

Re: RCA to XLR Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
you should really pass on the RadioShack cables, better to spend a bit more and get decent quality:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

there are much better cable manufacturers out there that i'd probly go with [Canare for one]...but thats about as affordable as it gets while mainting halfway decent quality

as for any impedence issues and what not -- a halfway decent cass deck [via RCA outs] > above cable > Firepod [via the 1/4" line ins] will give you good results
I have always heard that this cable quality stuff is just a gimmick. Do you have an opposing view to that? I mean, I have experienced getting bad cables, but if a cable works, how is it different from any other functioning cable?

Has anyone done some kind of thorough analysis of this cable quality issue? Couldn't someone record the playback of a sample of something twice with two different cables, one "high quality" and one "low quality", while keeping all other factors constant (including cable length), and use a frequency analyzer on the two recordings to detect a difference? Maybe some other kind of better analysis could be done.

Thanks for your responses so far.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes