View Single Post
Old 2005-06-14, 05:44 PM
uhclem

Re: Slow Downloads....

This thread may be more or less dead, but I wanted to add two things just in case some finds it while searching for UPnP info:

1. In order to use UPnP in BitTornado on WinXP you do need to enable the "SSDP Discovery Service". I can't remember if this is enabled by default. If BitTornada has successfully forwared a port via UPnP it will tell you this at the bottom of the "Advanced" window, where it will say something like "Listening on Port 6881, UPnP port forwarded"

2. I found the following post in a forum on routers and bittorrent. Granted it was posted by no one in particular, but it sums up what I've been trying to say on the subject:

Quote:
Firstly Define UPnP.

UPnP - As the functionality provided by a router - will be red
UPnP - As part of the operating system will be blue.

Hope that is easy enough to understand.

I will start with the UPnP that is part of your Operating System. You do not need it
I have disabled both the UPnP and SSDP services with no adverse affects. It may be used by some printers, and I have yet to come across one that fails if this service is disabled. Mainly because they can be configured, and should be, to work without it.
I was planing to give you the command to disable it, but its not even on my computer any more. I completely removed it. So you will need to go to services.msc and stop and disable both UPnP and SSDP
And I still have webcam/voice MSN

UPnP on your router is another matter. Its a great tool, and a great risk. If you trust your network, know what you are doing, then by all means, leave it on. I leave it on for MSN, Azureus and a couple of other programs. Simplifies matters greatly. If you do not trust your network, or the users in it, to not downloaded viruses etc, then disable it. Give yourself a static IP, and forward the normal ports to your computer. Install a personall firewall, and let it run as its defaults. That way, anything that you forward to your computer from your router - always on - will get blocked by the personal firewall, unless you have MSN, or Azeureus etc running.

To sum it up UPnP on your OS - Off
UPnP on your router - ON - Only if you trust your network and the users within it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes