View Single Post
Old 2007-05-11, 06:52 AM
TTD Staff

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

another lil something to chew on, if you wanna tape shows and seed em, take the time to save some $ for a few months and do it right...as someone mentioned previously, you can get a digital wav recorder for only a few hundred buckz now...its not like back in the old days where you had to have a good bit of money and audio knowledge...anyone with a few hundred buckz and some time to research online can make a halfway decent recording today...people keep talking about "preserving the shows for years to come" and "an mp3 source is better than no source at all"--but if we're truly interested in being archivists, wouldn't we record them in at least an uncompressed format?!

we get a lot of people who are so adamant about "having to tape" immediately and "need gear but only have 75 dollars to spend"--FORGET IT! its gonna sound like shite, sorry but thats just reality...take the time to save, research, and get the proper gear...i borrowed a recorder for almost a year before buying my own deck because i knew i wanted a higher end HD recorder with quality XLR pre's...sure i coulda bought a JB3 right away and dealt with those 1/8" inputs, but i waited and got what i really wanted--and it was worth it

basically, we don't all need an Earthworks > 744 rig, but buying an old shitty MD deck and a pair of unknown mini mics from ebay for 40 buckz is a waste...better to save for a few months and be happy with the gear you got for years to come...

:climbs off of soapbox: