View Single Post
Old 2008-07-20, 04:17 PM
On the Beach

Re: Firewall and Fios

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
Like I said, I was venting in frustration and not just at your site but torrent sites in general (and at my general ignorance). And I apologize for that. Yes I appreciate knowing I'm firewalled when I sign in here. Of course that only works if I'm torrenting at the same time.

Anyway, I fixed my problem by doing something no one suggested. I plugged my Motorola router into an auxiliary port on the Actiontec router and basically took it out of the loop. After that I was able to start from scratch with a new static IP address. I configured the Actiontec according to portforward.com and I'm good now.

So if you want a suggestion from me, here goes:

You ask for specific info on hardware and setup, look for similar situations to mine. I didn't need to have go through my Vonage router. Seems simple enough but no one mentioned it. I do understand others have to go through a multi-router setup, I didn't. Maybe it's something that could be added to the FAQ under Vonage or VOIP users. It would have saved me a lot of trouble and others may be in the same boat. You have to remember your level of computer experience is not everyone's level. Also the golden rule, KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. I may be a dope for not doing the obvious in the first place, but I do know to look for help when I'm in over my head.

Anyway, thanks for your help and again I didn't mean to offend.
Ro-Ro
if one of the mods will unhide my early post in this thread. it would be appreciated & unclemeat might enjoy it.

using two routers on a home network is ridiculous & doesnt help or hide anything. (also dude87 - the DMZ puts your computer outside the firewall - fully exposed)
normally, the only time you would have a few routers locally on a network is to bridge large segmented corporate networks.

glad it worked out unclemeat. try not to get so bent out of shape when asking for free advice with your problems.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes