Thread: RIAA question
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-16, 09:05 PM

RIAA question

Okay I had a question that I've wondered for a long time.

Here's a hypothetical question that disregards the legality between ripping your own personal cds to your pc that's come up recently.

Suppose the RIAA raids my place, and sieze my computer.

They find say 300 (random number) of mp3s on there.

How do they know that I did not own those cds at one point or another, and ripped them to the HD?

If you go into Itunes and edit the mp3 tags by higlighting all the files and clicking "GET INFO" and in that section where it usually may or may not have information pertaining to a ripping group or whatever, you just blank it out or type "personal backups" or whatever, does that eliminate any identification?

Just wondering.

I mean I don't use torrents except for here, and I don't use p2p type programs like Kazaa, Morpheous, Limewire or any of that either, so I don't run into the "sharing" aspect.

But I always wondered what stopped these kids who got busted from just saying "these are all my personal rips, but I lost my phsyical stash in a move at one point, or something like that.

As long as they don't have shit that's like has the ripping group's name in the title of the folder, or something.

I dunno. Figured I'd ask others what their thoughts on this was.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes