View Single Post
Old 2008-03-09, 05:54 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer

Re: Lightscribe DVDRW

My old friend and 70's taper who also runs a repair shop for 30 years told me once about this guy who brought his high end CD player in with "a little problem"...
It was some audiophile player with external AD DA converters and big money spent on the thing.
The label on a burned disk had come loose inside the player. At cripes who knows how many RPMs the disk was spinning, the label peeled and the paper and glue shrapnel obliterated the disk shattering the mechanisms inside.
The dude wound up spending a couple grand on his $20000 player because of a $.30 disc with a cheezy label stuck on it.

The moral of the story is:
A) Don't be a dork and pay $20000 for a CD player...
B) Don't use cruddy stickers on your discs...
C) Don't exhibit evidence that you were dumb enough to use a cruddy sticker disc in your overpriced CD player! Hide it and buy a new one!

I have one of those LightScribe DVD burners. I still haven't invested the dough on the LS discs yet (3-4 times the price) but the demo labels at the store looked alright. It can take as long to burn a label as it takes to burn a DVD or maybe more. It has quality levels you can select a faster label burn, but lower quality I guess.
So far they're monochrome (like black & white) but I've heard they're working on color discs, too. That's where the printable discs win right now - full color.