View Single Post
Old 2017-07-31, 10:12 PM

Re: FLAC fingerprint md5 mismatch - looking for some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergawd View Post
Ok, as I've said I don't use TLH and don't know for sure what's going on, but I'll tell you what it sounds like to me: the audio data of the files got altered somehow after the encoding but before the md5 was generated, and TLH is simply outputting the (no longer valid) checksums from the files' headers (metaflac outputs the MD5 signature from the STREAMINFO block). Possibly the files got truncated somewhere along the way before they were uploaded?

shntool's "hash" mode will output md5 signatures of just the decompressed audio portion of the files (as opposed to a wholefile signature), same as a flac fingerprint. They should match. If not, something has happened to either the audio portion or the fingerprint portion of the files. If you create an ffp file from the shntool hash output, it should verify in TLH. The question then would be WTF happened to the flacs?

Corrections appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I understood about half of that ;-)
The files decoded to wav (using "decode through errors") with the md5 mismatch error. I'm not sure what the seeder would have done to the files AFTER encoding; there are no tags showing in foobar so I don't think that's the issue. I don't use shntool so I can't follow your advice. It's also weird that not one of those who have downloaded these shows (222 downloads so far) has mentioned this issue on that site.

Thanks again for your input. Not sure what else to do at this point.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes