View Single Post
Old 2010-02-11, 07:28 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer

Audio - Matrix question about uploading a multitrack matrix with several sources

I have a show that I'd like to upload, but it's kind of done in an oddball way...

It is a post-production multitrack mixdown that was originally captured on 4 different stereo recording devices to make 8 discrete channels that I mixed down later. This was originally recorded in 2005, when MiniDisc was still not that bad, remember, so the MD lineage is alright. read on...

It is a singer-songwriter with piano. Her name is Allison Crowe.

These are the 4 pairs of sources used:
A) Two channels (stereo piano mic pair) were captured direct from soundboard to computer as a stereo (hard left - right) wav file.
B) Two channels were recorded from the soundboard to an atrac MD (vocal mic and another mic on the piano panned hard left - right).
C) Two ambient mics were plugged into another atrac MD unit, but picked up a bad buzz from the lighting dimmer box. I did my best to de-noise this source, but part of this recording is still buzzing, in particular the first half of the show.
D) An Edirol R-04 recorder captured part of the show for another ambient layer. This only recorded the first half of the show and neatly replaces the noisier part of the MD recording...

I imported all 8 channels into Cubase, and after careful addition of some select plug-ins (vocal compression that was needed, some reverb, etc..) I exported a stereo mixdown file.

Here's the rub : source A (piano) is totally lossless, source B and C are MD lossy but recorded well before the 2008 ban on MiniDisc, but source D was recorded as an eMPty3 file.

Sources C and D are there for crowd noise and added natural reverb room sound. The denoised buzzing MD has more artifacts than the 320cbr eMPty3, but the artifacts are not really heard above the direct feeds of sources A and B. The lossy source D layer lasts for about 45 minutes of this almost 2 hour show...

Could it be allowed here?

Here's a track of the mixdown as a sample of the finished product:
http://hotfile.com/dl/25081733/75e10..._Know.wav.html

The show is mostly acceptable, only part of it has the mp3 layer (including the sample)...

Can I?