View Single Post
Old 2011-07-24, 11:35 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff

Re: Help with Filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
I recorded a show that needs some work done to it. As you can see in the graphic there are some spikes through the whole recording that I'd like to remove but don't know how.
I'm using CEP2 but don't know how to "edit" these things out.

Can someone either point me to a guide to doing so, or, just explain how to do it (and where in CEP2 I find the correct "dropbox or tab").

FWIW: These spikes are loud crowd cheering between numbers.

Thanks for any help.

I'll just echo the advice given, but with specifics for CEP...

The "envelope" filter is there, and you can also use "hard limiting" or "normalize" for this. You'll want to try each on a few peaks (undo between trials) to se what works best and yields the most natural, unnoticeable results.

All three are located under Effects > Amplitude in the top menu bar (and there are buttons).

I also do these peaks one at a time, usually buy zooming to the peak and using the limiter (effects > amplitude > hard limiting - or use the button if you have the button bars turned on) with the limiting set to the avg level of the audio around it. Basically, you are a manual peak limiter.

Highlight the peak (just roughly) and use the "zoom to selection" button (bottom left of the zooming buttons). Then highlight it more precisely to apply the filter to the proper area. The selection should start just where the peak begins to rise above the normal audio around it so you don't end up with little dips to each side when you limit.

In your case, the audio around it is peaking around -4 db or so, so maybe try that as the limiter's limit for starters (or use normalize or envelope, depending on what sounds best).

your peaks are fairly uniform, so just experiment with the limiter on one of them until you get the desired reduction, while maintaining a natural sound when you play over it. Then do the rest with the same settings.

keep in mind, these sounds are peaks in your recording, so they should remain just a bit higher than the surrounding audio to avoid being noticeable during playback.

if the limiter does produce the desire results you can try doing the same procedure with the "normalize" instead... again, set it to bring the peaks dow to the avg level of the rest of the audio, or just a bit higher.