View Single Post
Old 2010-03-18, 11:25 PM

Re: VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Most of that thread appears to be people bickering. You have three groups participating, too: one group that is clueless on video, and two others that are arguing over how to do it
You left out pros like myself - I am not "clueless on video" and I am not "arguing over how to do it". I understand this is just a hobby and also understand that, when it comes to restoration, there is more to it than just popping a dub of a dub into a camera or VTR, hitting play, and than hitting record on a stand alone DVD burner. At it's core that is just another dub...the person who does it is not a god.

I also don't "argue" on the "how to do it" front because, as I stated, if this is just your hobby than get what works best for you - as a hobby. If a person is happy with simply making a new dub from an old format onto a new format, than cool beans. This thread arose because a person appears to take their hobby way to seriously and feels their dubbing method is the best that ever will be, could be and ever was, and not only are they happy with the results they feel everyone else should be as well.

As for your comment about someone being "the ONLY person able to provide something new to the community", that is highly doubtful. There is new material coming out all the time from all sorts of sources. This goes for the trading community as well as the real entertainment industry. There is no one person who has everything, nor is there just one person who's job it is to seek out everything. On the other hand if a person is living in their own space bubble it is possible for them to truly believe that they are "huge" and what they do is "great" thusly they "deserve respect" because, in their minds, they are "the only members of this community" providing material." But in reality, and mind you that I have been involved in the trading community for decades, that one person does not exist.